Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cashmere


In response to Ezra Pound’s translation of Li Po’s “The river – Merchant’s Wife: A Letter”:

Cashmere

When my hair was short and unstyled
you stopped me
 asked why I was leaving
my cheeks matched your sweater
I said I was fine.

When purple eyeshadow never left my eyelids
you fascinated me
your loud tenor me
you smiled, and seemed to know me
once again, my cheeks matched your sweater
and I said I was just fine

When my hair was growing out
you said goodbye
two years is a long time
but not so long with correspondence
my cheeks no longer matched your sweater
I didn’t even try to say I was fine

Now, my hair is long and light
and you want me to send pictures
you’re coming home
two years was too long
 I’ve learned what you already knew
that when you’re near me, my cheeks will always match your sweater
and that, with you, I will never be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment