Thursday, July 7, 2011

Prism


In response to D.H. Lawrence’s “Bavarian Gentians”:

Prism

So distracting
there’s rainbows everywhere
I am in my own palace
crystal floors reflect rainbows onto the crystal chandeliers

Mahogany furniture in a grand, golden hall
everything reflects color onto everything else
my eyes never focus
thousands of colors

blushing reds, sinful crimsons, fabulous fuscias, opulent oranges
yellows that blind me – make me squint
what thoughts those greens inspire!
sexy purples, calming lavenders, blues that bring serenity, peace

A chandelier with candles is the only light
besides the windows
windows of cut let crystal
windows viewing a kingdom unlike any on earth

A banister that is cool to the touch
stairs held up only by rainbows
a floor at the landing made of pure platinum
a bedroom with a glass bed
curtains of sheer, diamond – inlaid netting

blood colored, satin sheets
pure goose down mattress
a sea of pillows
I could suffocate in this bed

A crystal fire place burning logs of scented flowers
overstuffed, golden armchairs with fluffy pillows
like the ones I hug while slumbering at home –

Home?

My dirty, glass windows come into focus
windows that view my neighbors yellow curtains
I see my mahogany furniture
my satin and goose down bed
my sheer mosquito net
my sea of pillows
my scented flowers on my windowsill
            My Prism.


No comments:

Post a Comment