Thursday, July 7, 2011

My King


In response to Wallace Steven’s “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird”:
My King

I would not fall asleep until it sang me to sleep
a small child wailing in her crib until the moment
its sonorous voice reached her ears

It gave me my first hickey
it hurt a lot
but I was proud
it meant I was working hard

It frustrated me – how were my fingers
supposed to do that thing?
When I did it it wailed – no sweet moaning here.

The sound it made
with just the right amount of pressure
the perfect tension in the rubbing
( who knew wood, horsehair and cat guts could do that?)

My fingers don’t feel pain –
they don’t feel anything.
So much pressing in the same spot –
I once touched a hot frying pan
and didn’t even realize my fingers were scorched.

The sweet sounds it makes
(now that I’ve fully mastered myself) –
the frustration and the pain were worth it.

Now I can grab it
wrestle with it
make it say “uncle”
but when it’s all over
I still have to bow to my king/

No comments:

Post a Comment